Get help applying for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

How to get started

Colder weather often brings higher energy bills, and that can make it hard to keep up. That's where federal funding through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, comes in. LIHEAP provides energy assistance to households with limited incomes.

Sign up here >

Ready to apply for LIHEAP now?
Alabama customers

Start the process by contacting your local community action agency for an appointment. Below, you'll find the resources you need for your appointment.

Missouri customers

Applications for households with members 60+ or disabled individuals are open Oct. 1 - Mar. 31; General applications for all other households are open Dec. 1 - March 31.

We're here to answer any questions you have along the way
How do I know if I qualify?

To qualify, you must meet each of the following: 

  • Be responsible for paying your home's heating and cooling costs
  • Be a United States citizen or legal resident
  • Have $3,000 or less in bank accounts, retirement accounts and investments
  • Meet specific income guidelines - shown below.


What do I need to apply?

Below are the documents you need to complete the application process:

  • Current heating bill (natural gas, propane, electric, fuel oil, wood or kerosene)
  • Current electric bill
  • Copies of social security cards for all household members as well as their birth dates (if your household currently receives food stamps, only the social security numbers and birth dates are required)
  • Copies of income documentation such as paystubs for the prior month, current award letters, pension statements, etc. (if your household currently receives food stamps, your income documentation is not required)
  • A copy of your shut off notice if your account is in disconnect status
What are the income guidelines?

2020 federal monthly income guidelines:

Household size 135% FPL 151% FPL 185% FPL 200% FPL 250% FPL
1 $1,405 $1,596 $1,967 $2,127 $2,658
2 $1,902 $2,156 $2,658 $2,873 $3,592
3 $2,400 $2,716 $3,349 $3,620 $4,525
4 $2,897 $3,276 $4,039 $4,367 $5,458
5 $3,394 $3,836 $4,370 $5,113 $6,392
6 $3,891 $4,396 $5,421 $5,860 $7,325
7 $4,389 $4,956 $6,111 $6,607 $8,258
8 $4,886 $5,516 $6,802 $7,353 $9,192

FPL: Federal poverty level 

How do I get started?

In Alabama: First, you'll need to contact your local community action agency. You can find your agency here or call 211

In Missouri: You can apply online or download and mail an application. Or, you can contact your local community action agency if you're not able to print your application. 

More helpful resources

Get help making energy-efficient repairs to your home


See upcoming events near you

Find my agency

Contact your local community action agency

Contact Spire

Need help navigating energy assistance? Give us a call.