Due to extreme weather conditions across the Midwest, Spire is urging customers across Missouri to conserve energy over the next few days.
The cold temperatures have caused supply disruptions and high demand. We've been carefully monitoring the situation and are working to ensure that we continue to provide and maintain service. Rest assured, we continue providing natural gas service with no interruptions due to the weather.
For business customers: Contact us about your business service
Make a difference by conserving energy
Customer bills naturally increase during the winter with higher usage because when temperatures dip, thermostats typically do the opposite. And this year, customers could see even higher bills due to the polar vortex's role in wreaking havoc with the wholesale gas supply market.
But by following a few simple steps, you can help make a difference and minimize the impact to your wallet - and help your community.
To help conserve energy during this time, we're asking customers to lower their consumption by following a few easy steps:
- Turn thermostats down a few degrees
- Limit use of natural gas fireplaces
- During the day, open curtains on south-facing windows to let sunlight warm your home. Close curtains at night to reduce potential incoming cold from any drafty windows
- If windows feel drafty, install weather sealing tape, insulating drapes, or shades to prevent cold air from seeping in
- Seal around around the home where air could come in. These leaky areas often can be found around pipes that connect to the outside, unfinished spaces behind cupboards, recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and closets